RV Traveler's Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a WiFi "hot spot" or network?
- Where is WiFiRV based?
- What kind of network technology is being used to provide this connection?
- What is needed to use the service?
- How do I get online?
- Are the credit card transactions secure?
- Where can I purchase a wireless card?
- How do I log in to use the service?
- How do I log out and stop session billing?
- What are some of the billing plans?
- Will I receive an invoice when I use the service?
- Can I change my rate plan?
- How can I view / edit my account information?
- Can I access my corporate LAN?
- Do you support both Macintosh and PC computers?
- What kind of security is available through my wireless connection?
- What if I have problems using the service?
1. What is a WiFi HotSpot or network?
A wireless hotspot is a Local Area Network (LAN) that replaces conventional
wires and cables with radio frequency (RF) connections. The coverage area depends on the
surrounding building structure and other environmental interferences. Wireless networks
provide the freedom to access the Internet, E-mail, or instant messaging services anywhere
within this area.
2. Where is WiFiRV based?
WiFiRV is a subsidiary of WiFiLand. WiFiLand's corporate headquarters are located in
Fairfield County, Connecticut, but there are offices located all over the country. (Boston,
Florida, and Northern California.)
3. What kind of network technology is being used to provide this connection?
Our access points are equipped with the industry-standard Wi-Fi compliant (IEEE
802.11b or 802.11g) wireless Ethernet LAN, and an 11Mbps high rate DSSS standard for wireless networks. We also
provide our own network software that automatically monitors traffic and implements
automated billing for ease of use.
4. What is needed to use the service?
In order to connect, customers will need: a computer with a
wireless network card and a valid credit card for
billing. For assistance, call our 24/7 Technical Support line: 1-877-943-4526.
5. How do I get online?
To get online, you will need to:
- Install a wireless network card into your computer and configure it for use with the
wireless network. Note: Most newer laptops come equipped for WiFi, including a built-in antenna. If
you have one of these, no external wireless card is needed.
- Open an account. To create your account, click the "Subscribe" link on the Welcome Page.
6. Are the credit card transactions secure?
Yes, the data is secure when you sign up for our service. All customer information is sent over a SSL (Secure
Socket Layer) link to our servers for processing.
7. Where can I purchase a wireless card?
Wi-Fi compliant cards are available from most major manufacturers, such as:
Lucent, Cisco, 3Com, Intel, and Sony. They are sold through our web store. Offline retailers include Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Depot, and
most stores that carry computer accessories. Dell, Compaq, IBM, Toshiba and Apple have started
selling laptops with wireless capability built in.
8. How do I log in to use the service?
To log into the service, proceed as follows:
- Begin with your computer turned off and your wireless network card installed.
- Turn on your computer, allow it to fully "boot" up, and then launch your web browser.
- The Welcome page should appear.
- Enter your account username and password in the appropriate fields and click the Submit button.
- If the username and password are entered correctly, a wireless "disclaimer" page will
appear with Accept and Decline buttons located on the bottom of the page. After reading the
disclaimer and logout agreement, click the Accept button. You are now ready to surf!!
9. How do I log out and stop session billing?
To stop session billing, you must logout using one of the methods described below:
NOTICE: It is your responsibility to logout when finished. Credits or additional
minutes will not be provided to those end-users who fail to logout properly.
- Click the "Logout" button found within the logout pop-up window. This window appears after
each successful login. Note: Using this logout method requires that the pop-up window
remain either minimized or open during your session.
- Go to https://members.wifirvclub.com:444/login.ews
and select the "Logout" button.
- Turn off your computer for a minimum of (20) minutes and let the system automatically end
your session. Note: You will be billed for all minutes leading up to the automated logout.
- Call our 24/7 Technical Support line: 1-877-943-4526 and ask them to please log you out.
10. What are some of the billing plans?
All charges for use of the service will be applied to the credit card provided when your account is set-up. The
frequency of the billing cycle varies depending on the type of rate plan chosen.
Note: With Daily Use plans, each time you login in after a 24-hour session has expired
your credit card will be charged the designated flat rate again and start a new 24-hour session.
- Monthly Plans: On monthly subscription plans, your credit card will be billed the
designated flat rate at the time of signup. At the end of each monthly billing cycle your
account will automatically renew and your credit card will be charged the flat rate plus any
additional per-minute charges incurred from the previous month.
- Daily use Plans: On daily use plans, your credit card will be billed the designated flat
rate at the time of signup. Each daily session lasts 24-hours and you may log in as many times
as needed without incurring any additional charges.
- Per-Use Plans: On per use plans, your credit card will be billed the designated monthly rate
plus any additional per-minute charges (if applicable) at the end of each session.
With Per-Use- plans, a new billing cycle begins each time you login to use the service.
11. Will I receive an invoice when I use the service?
Yes, you will receive an initial "Welcome" e-mail at the time you sign up for the service as well as
invoices each time your credit card is charged. All correspondence is sent to the email address
you provide at the time you set up your account.
12. Can I change my rate plan?
Yes. To change your rate plan, click the "My Account" link on the Welcome Page.
Note: Any changes made to your rate plan will not take effect until the end of your current plan's
13. How can I view / edit my account information?
To view / edit your account information (i.e. update address, change
password, view current usage, etc.), click the "My Account" link on the Welcome Page and proceed
to the appropriate account information section.
14. Can I access my
Yes. If your company allows
Internet remote access into the corporate network,
then you may connect. If your company has a VPN
(virtual private network), you should be able to
run your VPN or secure tunneling client software
over the NetNearU Routing Access Point connection.
15. Do you support both Macintosh and PC computers?
Any devices with WiFi capabilities work with WiFiRV solutions.
We have technical specialists that are trained in your operating systems, not matter which you use!
Prior to our arrival, we do a site assessment and risk analysis to be sure that the installation
expert sent to your facility is ready to answer all your questions. PCs, Macs, and other devices
can all be part of the wireless fun; the more the better!
16. What kind of security is available through my wireless connection?
We do not enable WEP (Wired Equivalency Protection) on any of the wireless equipment used in our network. Therefore, no special keys are
required to use the service. WEP encryption is not yet practical for a public access network, due in
part to the absence of a standardized method for relaying encryption keys between different
manufacturers' equipment. Although wireless network security is not provided, our system does
support secure Virtual Private Network (VPN) access. (If your company has a VPN, we recommend
that you connect via the VPN for optimum security. We also encourage our subscribers to observe
standard security practices.)
17. What if I have problems using the service?
If you experience difficulty connecting to the wireless network, call our 24/7 Technical Support line: 1-877-943-4526.